All people present Sleeping problems on occasion, but when this situation occurs constantly, it can negatively affect your health. For example, him insomnia It can lead to concentration problems, decreased academic performance, and various mental health disorders such as anxiety and depression.
Issues such as stress, a fast pace of life, sedentary lifestyle and the rest of the concerns of modern society usually lead to a real difficulty in sleeping the number of hours necessary for the body to repair itself and restore its energy, becoming a vicious circle from which it is necessary to get out before health is permanently affected.
Sleep problems vary from person to person. There are those who have difficulty falling asleep, others who wake up constantly during the night and those who even when they sleep, have a very light sleep so they react easily to any stimulus such as small noises, light, vibrations, etc.
In the following lines we tell you what insomnia is, the reasons why it occurs and how we can act to rest the correct amount of time at the end of the day.
What is insomnia and why does it occur?
Insomnia is a sleep disorder characterized by difficulty falling asleep. It can also manifest as the inability to maintain sleep for the time necessary to provide the rest that the body needs. Those who suffer from it suffer from a decrease in energy that is capable of affecting their health and performance in daily life.
Insomnia can be the main problem or appear associated with other diseases. In general, it is usually a consequence of stress, habits that alter the quality of sleep and particular situations that trigger lack of sleep and even make it last for months and even years.
The most common causes of insomnia are the following:
- Changing work schedules and travel
- Bad habit at bedtime
- Abundant feeding at night
- Sedentary lifestyle
What can we do when we can’t get to sleep?
Once you know the potential causes of lack of sleep, it is important to make some changes in our habits. The following tips can help you fall asleep more easily and enjoy a long rest.
- Establish a bedtime schedule. Going to bed and waking up at the same time each day allows the brain to train into a cycle of rest, allowing it to relax and prepare for sleep. If you can’t sleep, do relaxing activities just before bedtime.
- Make your room a comfortable environment. Get a comfortable mattress, control the lighting, the noise level and the temperature, elements with the ability to disturb sleep very easily.
- Music. It has been proven through scientific studies that music can have a beneficial effect on people with sleep problems. Certain frequencies can induce relaxation while musical rhythms can cancel out external noises and create an optimal environment for a night’s rest.
- Do exercise. The daily practice of some physical activity at moderate intensity, at least for 30 minutes, favors relaxation and, consequently, can help us to sleep much faster at the end of the day. Sedentary people are usually quite affected by this problem.
If you have already tried all of the above and still have difficulty sleeping, there are solutions to help with insomnia, such as melatonin tablets and other natural supplements specialized in helping people to get a pleasant sleep, without side effects or generate dependency as is often the case with other compounds.
When should we consult with a specialist?
In addition to the above list, there are many other home tricks that we can try to improve the quality of your night’s rest. Meditate, stop smoking, avoid excessive alcohol consumption, limit nightlife and eat better, with foods rich in nutrients and low in saturated fat.
In the event that none of the above works or that the lack of sleep becomes chronic and ends up affecting your quality of life, it is essential to consult a specialist. If excessive sleep due to the inability to rest properly generates a problem in your daily life, it is necessary to see a doctor immediately.