The urinary tract is prone to developing different infections. To understand what causes cystitis, it is necessary to analyze all aspects of this syndrome and their peculiar differences. When interacting with contagious elements, it is mandatory to incorporate hygiene and other guidelines that will take care of the bladder.
A care infection
It is considered an acute infection, that is, appears suddenly inflaming the urinary bladder. Generally, the degree of alarming complications can be poor and out of danger.
Image from Freepik
When there is undesirable and uncontrollable pain, it is advisable to check the condition of the bladder with a doctor. This prevention will limit a possible infectious spread that affects the kidneys. In this way, other higher risk injuries will be avoided.
What Causes Cystitis?
A cystitis infection is caused by various germs. However, in 80% the bacteria Escherichia coli predominate. Now, in the part of the urinary system, below the bladder is a canal called the urethra. Here the bacteria found on the skin and vagina are frequent, a variety of them travel that area. The bladder does not contain microorganisms of this type. In fact, sterile, germ-free urine is normal. It happens then, that when the bacteria established in the urethra, reach the bladder, they cause unpleasant infections.
In reference to the female system, the urethra has a fairly short length, ideal for germs. These can easily enter the bladder, especially at the time of intercourse, due to the tiny distance. The man is different, since the distance exceeds that of the woman. As if that were not enough, the prostate expels a salt with zinc components that prevent the passage of bacteria.
Germs at any time, manage to invade the bladder, without causing any type of infection. They are insufficient particles to formulate a condition. On the other hand, the influence of 2 factors can promote an infection, such as:
- Defenses of the individual.
- Germ aggressiveness.
What are the symptoms of a urinary infection?
Although an asymptomatic case does not show a sign of infection, it carries many risks. The discomfort is unknown, but the germs are in the urine. Also, they can be spread silently.
The peculiarities of a urinary substance with painful or stinging affections belong to voiding syndrome. In addition, it develops an urgent phase where the urge to urinate is persistent. On the other hand, when the pain increases, but the amount of urine is limited, the syndrome transforms into frequency.
Other developed traits are:
- Colicky feeling in the lower abdomen area
- Unexpected urine leakage
- Fever greater than 38 ° C
- Hematuria, bleeding in the urinary fluid
What preventive measures to take to avoid cystitis?
In this study on what causes cystitis, it is prudent to indicate the necessary preventions to avoid future pathologies. With kidney stone abnormalities or urological irregularities, it is essential to rely on professional knowledge. In this way, a treatment would be assigned that prevents the promotion of an infection.
On the other hand, it is important drink fluids like purified water. The body must maintain continuous hydration that puts pressure on the need to urinate. Thus, the expulsion will be constant and will eliminate any risk of retention that favors the adhesion of bacteria.
In a couple relationship, it is better for the woman to urinate before and after intercourse. This process prevents germs from staying in the area for a long time. Similarly, it is advisable to perform a previous vaginal lubrication to avoid damage or injury.
- It is also important to clean the genital areas, before performing any sexual activity and after finishing.
- Make use of condoms during intercourse.
- Use soft underwear, made with cotton fabrics. Indeed, synthetics contribute to repeated infection.
- In babies it is essential to change diapers and at the same time proper hygiene.
Stages of diagnosis
When knowing what causes cystitis, it is fair to know what evaluations of the urinary system look like to identify the type of abnormality.
- It should be emphasized that the perineal must be clean before diagnosis, a carry-over of certain microorganisms would alter the results.
- Likewise, the germs of the urethra can be reflected in a first urination, so it is better to use the second.
The mechanisms applied for the diagnosis of an infection are:
- Urine bag: it is a common container where the liquid is introduced. Since it is a simple mechanism, the study is carried out in child patients.
- Test strips: detects hematuria, an element that indicates the presence of stones in the urinary tract.
- Urine culture: favors the identification of a germ. In case a variety of bacteria predominates, it is diagnosed as a urine in a state of high contamination.
- Bone scan: these are applied to areas of the abdomen, in order to capture an enlarged image of possible kidney stones. The existence of these elements can cause infections or urinary problems.
- Retrograde cystography: it is an advanced injection capable of discovering certain abnormalities.
- Ultrasound: in serious situations, it is an effective method that allows knowing the size of the kidney.
What treatments decrease a cystitis infection?
To fight germs, a certain antibiotic is used. Next, after applying an antibiogram test, the professional indicates a treatment that will depend on the type of bacteria established.
In people with infections caused by a Mycoplasma, the drugs are assigned for long periods. These are treatments such as:
- Trimethoprim / Sulfamethoxazole
It is a mistake to ignore urinary infections, they must be treated using one of the existing methods. In the opposite case, this infection can generate serious complications in the renal area that in turn affects the kidneys.
Groups of affectations
The location of bacteria allows you to classify or identify a low or high level infection. Within the low group, urethritis and prostatitis are included. Regarding superior discomfort, intrarenal and perinephric abscesses or acute abscesses such as nephritis and pyelonephritis may arise.