The spelt It is a cereal family of wheat, in fact, this is also known as spelled wheat. The origin of spelled dates back around 7,000 years, going from Iran to having great popularity in Europe. Only the wealthiest could enjoy spelled, with bread or beer.
Over time, the cultivation of spelled had a decline, because its production was too tedious, this, unlike wheat, has a layer that protects it from intense cold, unstable climates and lack of water. They may seem attributes, but that shell cost him his oblivion, since the different processes through which the grain had to pass was not profitable at all, in addition to the fact that its harvest was considerably less than that of wheat. That is, it took longer and the result was less.
Around 1980, it appears again in Europe and from then until now it is used in the preparation of breads, alcoholic beverages and vegan recipes. Its attributes lie in all the benefits it brings and in obtaining an organic product quality that takes its time, but with which you get great results.
Properties of spelled, the superfood
Spelled has the essential amino acids, these are 10 in total. They are relevant because in addition to the fact that the body needs them, it cannot produce them on its own, it needs to acquire them in some way for their proper development. These are: Leucine, Valine, Lysine, Isoleucine, Methionine, Tryptophan, Histidine, Phenylalanine, and Arginine. The deficiency of essential amino acids affects the nervous system, causes difficulty in healing wounds or in recovery after physical effort. And all this must be consumed daily distributing very well between meals, in order to acquire the necessary amount.
The highest amount of fiber in spelled is soluble, this favors digestion and prevents constipation. Fiber maintains the health of the intestine and is a stimulant to evacuate daily.
It concentrates magnesium, zinc, iron and phosphorus. Each mineral provides different benefits due to its properties and these are essential for producing hormones, maintaining heart rate and bone development.
Each slice of spelled bread contains a significant concentration of vitamin B2, it also contains vitamins A, E and B that help the body and the nervous system to form its tissues. All vitamins must be acquired through supplements, the human body only produces one, which is vitamin D.
The contributions of spelled are ideal to start the day in the best way, that is, it is recommended to consume it during breakfast, in any of its presentations. However, it is important to note that like many others, it is a food that should be consumed in moderation, balancing it with other nutrients that complement a healthy diet.
- It is light to digest: Its high content of soluble fiber allows it to be a gentle food for the digestive system, being a light process and free of constipation. The shell that surrounds the spelled and that turned out to be the reason for its forgetfulness for years, is what now makes it such a light food, since this shell protects it from forming enzyme inhibitors, which later hinder digestion, as happens with the wheat, for example, making it heavier.
- Prevents cardiovascular diseases: Over time, the gallbladder fills with waste that is often difficult to eliminate from the digestive system, in older cases, this can become a stone. The fiber of the spelled is essential in this process, because it helps to eliminate all these residues. But this is a work in conjunction with the minerals and some vitamins found in the cereal, which with its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects do not allow the congestion of the arteries.
- Lowers blood glucose levels: Again the fiber is responsible for providing another benefit. Spelled has a low sugar content and together with all its properties, its absorption is light, which helps to maintain or reduce glucose levels. Very convenient for those who suffer from diabetes or are prone to this disease.
- Prevents memory loss: The antioxidants and vitamin B in spelled keep the memory in good working order. It can even delay the progression of neurodegenerative diseases.
- Ally in women’s health: The natural oils found in this cereal, in addition to its anti-inflammatory properties, reduce the pain related to PMS that is usually so annoying. In addition, its vitamins maintain healthy hair and nails. Finally, it contains plant lignans in its shell, compounds that favor women’s hormones, since when consumed they become estrogens, which, on the other hand, are said to alleviate the symptoms suffered during menopause.
Presentations of spelled in the market
Knowing its different forms will help you choose one that suits you and of course, know in what type of recipes you can add them:
- Flour: Perfect to be used in crepes, breads, pastries and as a supplement in many other preparations, just as it is done with conventional wheat flour.
- Flakes: It is a presentation type puffed cereal, very tasty to combine with other cereals, in bowls with fruits, yogurt or prepare it cooked, as if it were an oatmeal.
- Grain: The grains work to be cooked and complemented with other foods.
- Saved: Can be used in drinks, salads or drizzled on snacks between meals. It is perfect to ensure good digestion.
- Semolina: With the semolina from the spelled, you can make couscous. This traditional dish is made by soaking the semolina for a few hours, then cooking it and accompanying it with vegetables. It is ideal for supplanting rice in a saucer, for example.