There are many hoaxes that have been heard since the coronavirus pandemic (Covid-19) broke out. Many of them, myths about how to cure this pathology. However, the reality is that, at the moment, the only thing that can fight the virus is our immune system. Therefore, it is essential to reinforce it to reduce the risk of contracting viral infections.
The immune system is in charge of protecting our body and keeping it healthy. At certain times of the year it can be weakened, that is why vitamins are essential to raise the defenses. The International Society for Immunonutrition (ISIN) recommends a diet based on antioxidants to strengthen our immune system. For this, it is essential to follow a balanced diet, rich in fruit and vegetables.
Continuous tiredness, frequent infections or the fall and relapse of colds can be indicators that our body is not defending itself properly against viruses and bacteria. Taking into account that, especially now, we must stay healthy, we present below 5 keys to strengthen your immune system:
- To eat a balanced diet: Food is our best ally of our defenses. Vitamins and antioxidants are essential when it comes to stimulating our immune system, with vitamin C being one of the greatest stimulants of the immune system. Citrus fruits, carrots and vegetables like broccoli are foods that we should eat often. Also, we must not forget the importance of vitamin D to keep us healthy. Sunbathing is the main way to acquire this vitamin. However, during confinement, not all of us have a terrace on which to sunbathe, therefore, in order to maintain healthy vitamin D levels, we must ensure the consumption of foods rich in this vitamin such as dairy products, mushrooms or fish such as sardines, tuna and salmon.
- Sleep between 6-7 hours a day: a good rest is one of the fundamental pillars of a healthy lifestyle. However, in the current situation of uncertainty generated by the coronavirus, many people find it more difficult to fall asleep. To continue guaranteeing proper sleep hygiene, it is recommended to take care of the bedroom environment, ventilate frequently and keep silence and darkness at night. In addition, a warm shower before going to bed and a light dinner can help us improve our rest and thus repair our body and stimulate our immune system.
- Take care of hygiene: Taking care of our personal hygiene helps to keep us away from diseases. That is why we do not stop hearing these days the importance of correct hand washing as one of the main measures against the coronavirus. However, do not forget to take extreme hygiene at home. Kitchen and bathrooms should be disinfected daily with products such as bleach or ammonia, and the food we bring home should be thoroughly washed. In addition, to prevent the virus from entering our house, when we come from the street, we should avoid touching common surfaces such as the elevator or doors, taking off our shoes at the entrance of our home, doing the laundry and remembering to clean mobile devices and glasses if you use them.
- Do sports on a regular basis: Maintaining an active lifestyle is synonymous with a good quality of life. Therefore, staying home should not be an excuse to stop playing sports. Precisely because we move less, doing a moderate exercise routine keeps us energized and strengthens our defenses. For this, it is advisable to plan a daily routine with aerobic activity such as walking indoors several times a day and doing a simple strength training to maintain the muscles.
- Take care of emotional health: the constant negative information that we receive daily subjects us to a higher level of stress and anxiety. This can have a negative impact on our physical health. For this reason, to limit the emotional blow they can have on our body, it is essential to follow a daily routine during confinement. Organization is the key against stress, getting mental and programming a routine before the new schedule. In addition, the consumption of alcoholic beverages should be avoided, since in addition to damaging our physical health, it has a depressant effect on the Central Nervous System.
Both in Europe and in the United States there are numerous laboratories working in the search for an effective treatment to deal with Covid-19, however, for the moment, the results of the studies are not conclusive. Similarly, clinical trials of potential human vaccines have already started in China. However, despite the speed at which these advances are being made, and awaiting the final Covid-19 vaccine, which is still under development, keeping our immune system strong is an essential piece in the battle against the coronavirus. .